Oh sweet Friday, I thought I would never see you again! Pleasant surprise – it snowed this morning. The boys and I were in awe, looking out the window as if we hadn’t seen snow, like ever. I wonder sometimes if this is perhaps a trait unique to Mainers?
Anyway, this week in between my regular work in an office with unflattering fluorescent lights, writing about this stuff, and you know, raising my kids, feeding my cats, periodically washing my hair, I’ve gathered up a list of blog links I wanted share:
- From Just a Girl and Her Blog I found this handy budget binder. Since New Year’s is just around the corner, it’s time for some resolutions I probably won’t keep. Maybe this binder is the secret to staying on budget this year….
- My Thanksgiving dinner menu is pretty much set in stone and to deviate from it means mutiny from the offspring. However, the appetizers can always be shaken up a bit. Instead of the basket of wheat thins and sliced bar of cheap cheddar cheese I usually serve pre-turkey, I’ve been inspired by Iowa Girl Eats to try this fancy-dancy cheese and olive platter. Mmmmmmm
- I found some much needed dinner inspiration at Bless This Mess, with a bazillion soup recipes perfect for cold weather. I am especially excited to try the Slow Cooker White Bean Chicken Chili Verde . Thank you Melissa!
- Am I the only person in the world who doesn’t like pumpkin flavored anything? It’s the only part of Autumn I don’t throw myself into with complete abandon. Cranberries, though…that’s a different story. Over at Kitchen Confidant, I found Make Ahead Cranberry Scones. I’m thinking they’d be good to make during the baking marathon that is the two days leading up to Thanksgiving.
- I usually pick up an extra turkey breast or two during the holidays, because they are so cheap but after thanksgiving I don’t want turkey in any of the traditional methods – roasted, soup , pot pie, etc… Enter this tasty grilled recipe from She Wears Many Hats. This would be good to do up over the weekend and have grilled turkey on hand for sandwiches throughout the week.
- Over at Simply Recipes, there was a decadent (but simple) looking roast beef that I might try when no one wants to think about turkey anymore.
- Are you in need of a swanky holiday potluck dish? How Sweet it Is posted this blue cheese, honey, fig dip that looks divine. If you’ve never tried honey with blue cheese, it is one of the best taste combinations on the planet. Seriously.
- Have you ever thought of traveling to Iceland? No? I hadn’t either, but this holiday destination guide from The Provocative Couture has some great ideas for get-aways (always nice to think about on a Friday in an office with unflattering lights).
- My new favorite decorating blog – Cedar Hill Farmhouse – has a great post on how to use trays in decorating. I love old vintage (and by vintage I mean cheap) trays form the thrift store. They are great for holding cosmetics, magazines, centerpieces….the list goes on and on….
- As I jotted down my Thanksgiving shopping list, I was slightly alarmed at the number of butter sticks and bars of cream cheese I have to buy. Just to keep a nutritional perspective during the holiday season, I found this post about healthy cookbooks from Ambitious Kitchen . All is not lost…
Happy Friday! Are you ready for the holidays yet?